Subnets and resolving

Drew Bloechl drew at cesspool.net
Mon Nov 20 22:40:19 GMT 2000

[I'm don't subscribe to this list, so please CC me on replies.]

I'm currently running into a bit of difficulty getting some Windows
machines talking to each other.  We have Samba running on a server
called polaris, which has one interface on each of the subnets:
10.20.$x.0/24 where $x is 20, 30, 40, 50, 60.  smb.conf is as follows:

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from 10.20.50.3 (10.20.50.3)
# Date: 2000/11/18 12:42:23

# Global parameters
[global]
	server string = %h server (Samba %v)
	encrypt passwords = Yes
	passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
	passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n .
	syslog = 0
	max log size = 1000
	socket options = IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=4096 SO_RCVBUF=4096
	dns proxy = No
	invalid users = root
	domain master = yes
	browse list = yes
	wins support = yes
	name resolve order = wins bcast
	remote announce = 10.20.20/WORKGROUP \
                          10.20.30/WORKGROUP \
                          10.20.40/WORKGROUP \
                          10.20.50/WORKGROUP \
                          10.20.60/WORKGROUP

[homes]
	comment = Home Directories
	create mask = 0700
	directory mask = 0700
	browseable = No

[printers]
	comment = All Printers
	path = /tmp
	create mask = 0700
	printable = Yes
	browseable = No

This is a slightly swat-ified configuration from the default Debian one.

Currently the Windows machines can see each other in the browse list,
but they can't resolve each other (not even the ones on the same
subnet).  Is there something I'm missing here to have everything
automagically work?  I really don't want to have to create explicit
mappings for all the machines.

--
Drew Bloechl
drew at cesspool.net