Trouble with SAMBA on Multihomed server

Lemonnier Philippe LEMONNIERP at thmulti.com
Thu Nov 16 18:43:02 GMT 2000

Hi all,

I experience some trouble trying to tune the Samba v2.0.7 configuration on a
SUN Enterprise450 server running Solaris 2.6.
This server is somewhat peculiar in that it has multiple network interfaces
on the SAME network:
----------------------------
{nestor}~>/sbin/ifconfig -au
lo0: flags=849<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 8232
        inet 127.0.0.1 netmask ff000000
hme0: flags=863<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        inet 141.11.171.3 netmask fffff800 broadcast 141.11.175.255
pf0: flags=863<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        inet 141.11.175.238 netmask fffff800 broadcast 141.11.175.255

{nestor}~>netstat -r

Routing Table:
  Destination           Gateway           Flags  Ref   Use   Interface
-------------------- -------------------- ----- ----- ------ ---------
141.11.168.0         nestor                U        3 642678  pf0
141.11.168.0         nestor2               U        2      0  hme0
172.16.8.0           biche                 UG       0  22159
BASE-ADDRESS.MCAST.NET nestor                U        3      0  pf0
default              cisco-rennes          UG       0  16873
localhost            localhost             UH       0 629974  lo0
-------------------------

The E450 acts mainly as a corporate NFS server to a bunch of workgroup
servers tied with an FDDI infrastructure.
The pf0 interface happens to be the main interface to the FDDI. The FDDI is
also connected to a corporate switch serving a few hundreds of Sun stations
& PCs.
The hme0 (fdx 100BT) is also tied to that switch.
You can notice both interfaces share the same network prefix & netmask
(multihomed server).
Running samba without any precaution works perfectly fine. SMB traffic flows
out from pf0 (primary interface & preferred route) thru FFDI to the switch
down to the PCs : perfect ;-)
However, for traffic handling , it would be far more efficient to force the
SMB traffic to hme0 so that NFS flows through the FDDI only, and SMB through
hme0 only.

Well, I have been playing around for some time with interfaces=hme0, bind
interfaces only=yes, socket address=... and so on, but could not force the
traffic to hme0 in any way.
I suspect interfaces=... and such certainly work perfectly when network
interfaces are on different subnets, but my case is different because these
are just two different paths to the same logical network.

Any guru out there to get me out of this trap ?

regards,

> Philippe Lemonnier -- Interactive Data Networking Lab Manager
> Thomson Broadcast Systems
Rue du Clos Courtel - 35517 Cesson Sevigne - FRANCE
Phone : 33 02 99 27 35 45   Fax : 33 02 99 27 31 06
Email :  lemonnierp at thmulti.com