Mysterious user authentication failure on basic network

Myles Pope (MLPA) mlpope at mlpa.net
Wed Nov 15 04:09:56 GMT 2000

Problem: Win PC users can't authenticate on simple network.

Situation: Linux RH7.0 samba server on 192.168.0.0 network is sharing data
to one or more Win95/98 PCs running static IPs. No NT, nothing complex.

Server APPEARS in PC browse lists but won't display shares and generates the
$IPC password requuired when the windows PC tries to access the share.

I have gone right throught the diagnosis tips (twice) and can confirm that
the Linux is master browser on the one correct subnet, network/workgroup
names are same on server/PC, linux user names and password match windows
usernames and password but no mapping.

The only problem I can find from the diagnosis tips is that from linux if I
type "smbclient -L MYSERVER" it says:

"SSL: Error error setting CA cert locations: error 00000000:: lib(0):
func(0): reason (0)" and then asks for password. If I enter over pasword the
anonymous user will be able to display the linux shares. This is only from
linux, if I do it from windows (ie net view \\server or net use x:
\\server\tmp) I get password prompts and then authentication failures for
any likely password or blank password which appear in
/var/log/win9cname.log. These logs show simply "username ""authentication
failure".

I have tried differnet PCs. Win95/98 and changed the netowrk name etc all to
no avail.

HELP..! What should I try next. Is the CA cert significant ie needed for
authentication?

Thanks in advance.

Myles Pope
0417 20 2244