win98/SCO file transfer problems

Nick Rozema nick at nwf.com
Wed Nov 1 23:13:45 GMT 2000

The box has an Intel Pro100+ nic with current Intel drivers. As I said
before, the box doesn't seem to have any networking problems with other
apps, as it manages ~30 telnet connections all day long, and
ftp/telnet/ssh/etc work without any problems at all.
The problem seems to be fairly consistent. I've deleted the 2.0.7 binaries
that I compiled myself and replaced them with the 2.0.3 binaries available
from the samba website. This in and of itself seemed to get rid of some of
the problems, however I still get mysterious dropped files every now and
then. The most noticeable problem is as follows:
Using Microsoft outlook, I try to export a backup to the samba drive I have
mapped. as soon as I initiate the transfer, outlook creates the file on the
samba drive and immediately says "the file N:\backup.pst cannot be found".
if I look at the contents of the drive, the file is indeed there, but is
only 32kb (should be over 60 megs if the backup succeeds). seems like some
sort of timeout error, but I don't know enough about samba to be sure. This
may seem like a small problem, but one of the main reasons we're trying to
deploy a samba server is to have the ability to backup users email profiles
to a central location (with RAID and nightly backups). the socket options I
have in my .conf file are

But again, I don't know enough about samba to know exactly what these do or
how I need to manipulate them for better performance.

Thanks for any more help you can provide.

-Nick