Samba and DHCP

Will Kim wkim at rim.net
Wed May 31 20:14:24 GMT 2000

I experienced something similar once, and I *believe* that you might need a
PDC (or at least some sort of DC) in each subnet to get resolution via
hostname (or, more exactly, "windows machine name"). I forget why this needs
to be done however.

One temporary solution is to access the boxes via IP address instead of
hostname... So instead of accessing  \\mybox <file://\\mybox>  , you would
access \\10.0.0.1 <file://\\10.0.0.1>  (assuming that was the IP for the
machine called "mybox").

Cheers,
Will