smbmount problems when mounted share goes offline.

Urban Widmark urban at svenskatest.se
Wed May 31 17:27:18 GMT 2000

On Thu, 1 Jun 2000, Reid Sutherland wrote:

>   I'm wondering how do I get around the problem when you smbmount a share on
> a win32 machine and that machine reboots, the mount becomes a blackhole. If
> you attempt an 'ls', 'df' or anything that would access that mount point the
> program then goes into a state of void and cannot be killed, leaving the
> proc open until reboot (another way?) and the mount "busy".

You are not the first to mention problems with mounts becoming unuseable.

If you get processes that cannot be killed (even with 'kill -KILL') it is
most likely a kernel problem. You can find out where it is waiting by
doing 'ps -l n <pid>', this will output a number for WCHAN that you can
look up in your System.map.

# ps -l n 17308
  F S   UID   PID  PPID  C PRI  NI ADDR    SZ  WCHAN TTY        TIME CMD
040 S     0 17308     1  0  60   0    -   676 1113f6 ?          0:00 /sbin/mount

My System.map contains:
c01113e4 T sys_pause
c0111400 T pci_alloc_consistent

1113f6 means that it is waiting somewhere in sys_pause (which makes sense
if you look at the smbmount source, not sure why the c0 isn't being output
too).

'ps -l <pid>' will do the lookup for you, but the numbers could be used to
find out exactly where it is blocking. ps -l needs to be able to find the
right System.map, 'man ps' for more on that.

>   Any suggestions on how to unmount the share and remount it (remount

'kill -KILL <pid>', 'umount /mntpoint', 'mount -t smbfs ... /mntpoint'
works for me when I kill a server.

I can easily reproduce the "it stops working" part of your problem (see
other mail with patch), but I can't make a process hang.

/Urban