File/Dir permissions under a share

Dan Hill dwhill at metaullics.com
Fri May 26 14:08:01 GMT 2000

I am trying to duplicate the setup on my netware box on my samba box.
Everyone wants to keep a single drive letter and go to the various dir's
from there.  So, what I did was create a share called "sys" and created
various dir's underneath it, e.g. hr, eng, etc....

I setup the hr dir and files therein with 770 (i tried 777 also) and
root:hr permissions.  If an hr group member goes into the hr dir and
tries to modify or create a file, the access is denied.  I am assuming
that samba uses unix group membership to determin if a user can access a
given dir.  Does anyone know what I could be doing wrong?  I would
attach files for more info, but rather than showing wasteful text,
I decided to wait for comments.

I know that creating these dir's under one share is probably not the
best thing, but my "users" namely uppers insist on one drive, e.g. G:\,
where they can go for all of the dir's available to them

Dan
dwhill at metaullics.com