Samba + Quickbooks file problems

Lee Howard faxguy at server.deanox.com
Fri May 26 02:15:07 GMT 2000

I updated samba to samba-2.0.7-4 (RedHat RPM).  That didn't help.
I changed the file ownership to user.group from user.user.  That didn't help.
I changed the file permissions to -rwxrwxr-- as you had suggested, and then
it worked.
(QuickBooks 99 needs *both* the file permissions set as noted *and* the
ownership also.)

However, when everyone closes QuickBooks the QBI file is deleted, and when
the first person opens the QBW up again the QBI file is created,
permissions get set to -rwxrwxr--, and the ownership becomes user.user.
Non 'user' access is denied until the ownership and permissions are changed.

I have found that using the 'admin users = +group' parameter will allow
things to work properly.  Although calling any non-root user root bothers
me slightly, I can't see the harm in it ('force user = +someuser' could be
done instead, but root makes about as much sense as anybody, and "nobody"
would cause security problems with non-samba access). Coupled with the
'force group = +group' parameter, the file permissions and ownerships on
all the files in the share will be identical... which mimicks Windows file
sharing closer, I think (which is done on a per-share basis, rather than on
a per-file one).

Thanks.
Lee Howard