Installation/configuration problems

David Kleppinger dkleppinger at dts.edu
Thu May 25 19:24:20 GMT 2000

I've just installed samba 2.0.6 on our HPUX 11.0 system and am having
problems getting it to work.  Any help would be appreciated.

I'm trying to use "security = DOMAIN".  Our PDC/BDC are NT 4.0 SP6. The
workstation I'm trying to connect from is NT 4.0 SP4.
The HP machine shows up in the network neighborhood but appears to have
no shares available.  smbd/nmbd are running.  I can use swat.
When I try "smbclient -L HOST" on the HP I get:
added interface ip=10.120.100.xxx bcast=10.120.100.255
    nmask=255.255.255.0
Password:
session setup failed: ERRSRV - ERRbadpw (Bad password - name/password
    pair in a Tree Connect or Session Setup are invalid.)

I should add that the workstation ip address is 10.120.130.xxx

The smb.conf reads:
# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = WORKGROUP
        netbios name = HOST
        server string = HOST access
        security = DOMAIN
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        password server = dtspdc dtsexch
        username map = /etc/opt/samba/user.map
        log level = 2
        syslog = 0
        log file = /var/opt/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 1000
        debug uid = Yes
        read only = No
        short preserve case = No
        dos filetime resolution = Yes

[homes]
        comment = Home Directory
        max connections = 50
        follow symlinks = No

[tmp]
        comment = Temporary Files
        path = /tmp

The user map file has:
davek = dkleppinger
gary = ghoyer

The smbpasswd file has:
davek:154:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:xxxxxxxxxxxxx:[U          ]:LCT-xxxxxxxx:
ghoyer:484:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:xxxxxxxxxxxxx:[U          ]:LCT-xxxxxxxx:

The /etc/passwd file has
davek:...:154:...
gary:...:484:...
Note: I wasn't sure if the user map translation took place before/after
the smbpasswd file lookup.
  David Kleppinger                   DKleppinger at dts.edu