VPN clients!!!!

Jeffrey Almeda jalmeda at portereng.com
Fri May 12 21:52:41 GMT 2000

Hi all,

I have Samba 2.0.7 running on Solaris 7 Ultra 450 , with NT4 ( 1 PDC and a BDC ) servers, and
Windows 2000 Pro, NT4 W/S, Win 98 as clients and a mixture of Sun workstations.

Everything is working fine, with the PDC also running WINS, DHCP and the BDC running IP Masquerading,
, web services and as a VPN server using PPTP.

The issue is with one of my VPN clients. Until yesterday, the VPN client can connect with the Samba server
without any problem. For some unknown reason, her access to the samba server all of a sudden stopped working.
She can see all the machines in Network Neighbourhood and access them, yet when she click on the Samba server, she gets a
network path not found message.
It seems to be a name resolution issue. We've fixed the problem by using a host file in the the client machine and entering
the Samba server address. But I still want to find out what this is all about.

The client machine is connecting through a modem cable and we have a fractional T1 ( 512 k ) in house so speed is minor issue.
The authentication on Samba is handled by the NT4 PDC. And like I said it worked fine for about a week, then this problem.
Client machine is Windows 200o Pro.
Here's what I see in the log ( level 1 ) .

[2000/5/12 08:18:40, 0 ] lib/util_sock.c:write_socket_data(540)
    write_socket_data: write failure. Error  = Broken pipe

Thanks for all the help.

Jeffrey Almeda