Output of "smbclient -L SERVER -N"

Gerald Carter gcarter at valinux.com
Wed May 10 19:59:38 GMT 2000

Bob Dusek wrote:

> My question is this:  How is the "Server -
> Comment" section composed? When I run the "smbclient -L
> SAZZLE -N" command, I get wierd results for the "Server -
> Comment" section.  Some of the machines listed are not
> servers, by any means.

Bob,

A server in this context is defined as a machine with
the ability to server up resource via SMB.  In layman's terms,
this means machine that has registering its name using the <20>
netbios tag.  If a WIndows95 machine has file and print
sharing installed, it is considered to be a server (even though it
might not be currently serving files or printers).

The "server" term is used to list all machines that would
be displayed in the workgroup browse list.

Hope this helps,
jerry

 \/    http://www.valinux.com    VA Linux Systems  gcarter at valinux.com
       http://www.samba.org      SAMBA Team            jerry at samba.org