Output of "smbclient -L SERVER -N"

Bob Dusek bobd at saintjoe.edu
Wed May 10 19:00:06 GMT 2000

Hello all,

When I execute "smbclient -L SAZZLE -N", I get back a three part
response:

        Sharename      Type      Comment
        ---------      ----      -------
        software       Disk      Network Software

        Server               Comment
        ---------            -------
        SAZZLE               Samba PDC Server 2.0.3
        CRACKLE              FACULTY MACHINE

        Workgroup            Master
        ---------            -------
        FRAZZLE              SAZZLE

My question is this:  How is the "Server - Comment" section composed?
When I run the "smbclient -L SAZZLE -N" command, I get wierd results for
the "Server - Comment" section.  Some of the machines listed are not
servers, by any means.  And, I could understand this -IF- it was
returning the names of all of the machine connected to SAZZLE... but,
it's not.  I can't figure out what it's trying to tell me.

Please advise.

Thank you,

Bob
--