Samba disk share with NT4

Tassilo Erlewein Tassilo.Erlewein at suse.de
Tue May 9 15:26:51 GMT 2000

Hi everybody,

I wonder if you could help me with this problem,
as I failed to find anything suitable in the list
archive about the topic.

The software used is:

Samba 2.0.5 or 2.0.6 on SuSE Linux 6.4 (kernel 2.2.14)
NT Server 4.0 SP 3 or SP 6

I export a Samba disk share with a name of >12 chars
on the Samba server. When looking at the export
table of the server smbclient reports the share
with only the first 12 chars.
I can however smbmount and work on the share using
it's "full name".

The NT client can see the share in the network
environment but can *not* successfully use it.
That does also apply to the command  line tool
"net.exe". Everything is fine if I adjust the
Samba disk share name to <=12 chars.

( 1. Win98 clients can connect to the long-name
     Samba disk share - I know that Win95 is limited
     to 12 chars for some reasons.
  2. When I export a long-name disk share with
     the NT4 Server I can't see it with smbclient
     in the export table (smbclient -L ... -U%)
     but I can successfully mount and use it )

Let me summarize:

- Samba can obviously do long-name disk-shares
- NT4 does so, this is used quite regularly
- they seem to not fully interoperate here

This should be very easy to reproduce.

Thanks in advance & best regards

Tassilo Erlewein