Samba 2.0.5a error when adding machine to domain

Jason L Steiner jsteiner at paychex.com
Tue May 9 15:15:07 GMT 2000

Yesterday, I found that a required file for Samba was empty and had
been modified recently (< 1 hour before I was called to investigate). I
later found out that the Samba software modifies this file on a set schedule
if I leave the default settings alone. The file was PAYCHEX.<netbios-nameA>.mac.

Because this file was empty, I figured I was screwed and had to add the machine
to the domain again.

I moved the MACHINE.SID and PAYCHEX.<netbios-nameA>.mac files out of
the way (not removed, but, out of the "private" directory). I asked the NT
administrator
to create a new "workstation" called netbios-nameB. I edited the SMB.CONF file
reflect the change from netbios-nameA to netbios-nameB.

I then executed the command (the real PDC name has been changed to protect the
innocent):

smbpasswd -j PAYCHEX -r PAYXPDCNAME

and I received the following error after attempting to add a Solaris 2.7 UNIX
system to
the PAYCHEX domain:

> cli_net_auth2: Error NT_STATUS_NO_TRUST_SAM_ACCOUNT
> cli_nt_setup_creds: auth2 challenge failed
> modify_trust_password: unable to setup the PDC credentials to machine PAYXPDCNAME. Error was : NT_STATUS_NO_TRUST_SAM_ACCOUNT.
> 2000/05/09 10:21:39 : change_trust_account_password: Failed to change password for domain PAYCHEX.
> Unable to join domain PAYCHEX.

The administrator of the domain has assured me that he has added
the machine to the domain and has setup the needed trust relationship.

Can anyone give me a pointer as to where I should start hunting to
resolve this problem? I think it is a problem on the NT side?

Jason Steiner
Software Configuration Manager
Paychex Incorporated