How do I allow writing to a single file in readonly directory (SAMBA digest 2513)

Dirk De Wachter Dirk.DeWachter at rug.ac.be
Fri May 5 12:24:59 GMT 2000

> Date:   Thu, 04 May 2000 16:22:25 +0100
> From:   Mike Brodbelt <m.brodbelt at acu.ac.uk>
> To:     jeff at enthalpy.biochem.wisc.edu
> Subject: Re: How do I allow writing to a single file in readonly directory
>
> Jeff Ballin wrote:
> >
> > Greetings everyone,
> >
> > Well, I am stumped.  I have read the documentation, perused the lists,
> > so if the answer is out there, please point me the way.  I am running
> > Samba 2.0.7 on an Alpha RedHat 6.0 system.  Everything seems to work
> > great in general.  However, we recently installed SigmaPlot 6.0, and
> > it insists on writing to a file (lockfile.sys) in the root directory
> > of the program (\\server\winnt\Program Files\SigmaPlot6), which is
> > located in a read only directory.  I would like to allow only this
> > one file to be overwritten, but nothing else.
>
> This is just guesswork, but you could try making the lockfile a
> symobolic link to a lockfile elsewhere, which is user writeable.

The other way around is preferred: only the lockfile is a real file
(placed in a writeable dir) all the rest are symbolic links (not user
owned!). This way, even if the lockfile is recreated (or overwritten)
it will keep working. Perhaps a "force group" parameter should be
used to allow access to this lockfile for all users (from the group).

Dirk