Problem creating links in a file system mounted with samba.

Didier Brachet didier at windriver.com
Fri Mar 17 11:13:45 GMT 2000

Hi All,

I am trying to create a link in a file system mounted by samba. The file
system is exported by a Solaris 2.7 samba server (using
samba 2.0.6) and I use a linux client (RedHat 6.1) running samba 2.0.5a.

I mount the samba file system on the linux box using the command:

smbmount "//<UNIX host name>/<exported name>" <mountpoint>
username=$USER,uid=$USER,gid=$GROUP

The file system is mounted correctly, I can read file, follow links,
create new files and new directories in this file system from the linux
box but when I try to create a link, I get the following error:

ln -s sourcedir destinationdir
ln: cannot create symbolic link `destinationdir' to `sourcedir':
Operation not permitted

I don't know if this is feasible or if I have a problem in the samba
server configuration, I have not  found any
documentation about this.

Thanks,
Didier Brachet