HP's CIFS/9000 product

ulairi ulairi at jps.net
Fri Mar 3 04:24:56 GMT 2000

The LanMan is the HP's smb-compliant daemon. It can be a PDC/BDC and is seen
as a normal NT 4.0 server. Has a command-line interface and supports ACLs.
In some respects, it is a bit better then SAMBA (I know, I know, blaphamy
:)) but with the stuff LanMan gives you, there is a command-line interface I
can use a-la NT (the "net" commands) so I could add an NT user with all the
NT'isms like home profile path, et cetera, through shell scripts (a big plus
for me for various reasons)

we've been running LanMan as a way to marry our HP-UX and our NT
environments for a while.
Sometimes, HP's patch fixes (necessitating reboots of production servers)
backfied, which is why I am not thrilled about it, but then again, there was
SP2 from our friends at MicroSquish (not to be outdone, there was SP4, too)

One of the interesting things LanMan does is it allows you to map a user
name from the NT side of things (or, rather, the SID) to a unix user name
(or, rather, the UID) via their "mapuname" command. Why do I think that's
nice? Because A: I can map multiple NT users to a single UNIX username. B: I
have the control on how the mapping is done, the system does not try to look
it up based on what the client supplied - if I have folks that are having a
hard time with their web browsers, I can have them log into their NT
environment using their full name as the user name and have the shares be
supplied by the LanMan deamon running in their "UNIX-side" context without
them ever having to delve into the "strange" world of command-line
interfaces and such.

(Then again, this ability might be in SAMBA, I've not found it yet, then).

General Purpose Computer Geek
California State University, Northridge
ITR/Central Computing Services
18111 Nordhoff St, Post Stop 8223
Northridge, CA 91330
ulairi at ecs.csun.edu <mailto:ulairi at ecs.csun.edu>
ulairi at icnt.net <mailto:ulairi at icnt.net>
If you do a hundred battles and you know yourself and you know your enemy,
you
will win all of them. If you do a hundred battles and you know yourself but
do
not know your enemy, you will win half of them. Likewise, if you do a
hundred
battles and you know your enemy, but do not know yourself, you will win half
of
them. If, however, you do a hundred battles and you know not neither
yourself
nor the enemy, you shall certainly lose all of them. That is the importance
of
knowledge.

                                San Tzu, The Art of War. [6th Century.
B.C.E.]