Help please -- smbmount refuses to work!

Ben ben_list at innovisions.net
Wed Jun 28 21:35:27 GMT 2000

>Gerald Carter wrote:
>>Ben wrote:
>>
>> box. All I can get is a "session request to BUGS failed
>> (Not listening on called name)" error message.
>
>This means that you are probably using the
>wrong netbios name.  At least that what the
>error message means.

Well the Win2K box is named BUGS, and everything resolves correctly as you
can see in the output I had attached. So, I don't think it's a name issue. I
also went through all the troubleshooting docs on name resolution and
everything checks out fine.

>> If I do a netstat on the Win2K box it shows the
>> connections to :139 though. The username/password that
>> is being used to log into the slackware box, is the
>> same as the u/p specified on the command like for
>> the mount, and is also a matching account created w/
>> administrative permissions on the Win2K box. Following
>
>Can you access the share via smbclient?

I can access the samba share on the linux box via smbclient, but smbclient
cannot attach to the Win2K box shares. I get the same 'not listening on
called name' error message.

>> session request to BUGS failed
>> session request to *SMBSERVER failed
>> SMB connection failed
>
>Have you looked at the network traffic in a SMB aware
>packet sniffer like Ethereal or Netmon?

Not yet...but that's what I was going to try today, 'cause I'm stumped! :)
Any other ideas/suggestions? Thanks for the input by the way.

- Ben