Case sensitive password Win95 client

Werner Maes werner.maes at cc.kuleuven.ac.be
Wed Jun 21 19:31:18 GMT 2000

Hello,

I need an answer to the following problem:

I have a Samba server with domain logons enabled and with
encrypt passwords=no. So I don't use the smbpasswd file, only
the Unix password files.
When I try to logon with a Win95 client (client for Microsoft Networks,
logging on to a domain), people with mixed-case passwords cannot logon
to the Samba logon server. Those with a password in lower case can logon
without any problem.

I can solve this issue by using the "password level" parameter but I
don't want to
do this since it puts a greater load on the server and decreases
security.

Does anyone know why the Win9x-clients do not support mixed-case
passwords
when logging to a domain? Does anyone know a solution or recognizes the
problem?
When I sniff the connection with tcpdump-smb I see something like:

CaseInsensitivePasswordLength=[000] 53 44 45 53 44 45 00 00  00 00 00 00
00 00 57 45  SDESDE.. ......WE

The cleartext password was: sdeSDE.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks alot,

Werner Maes
KULeuven

PS: I have Samba 2.0.7 on RH 6.2.