Windows password changing and syncing

james.fogg james.fogg at morefield.com
Thu Jun 1 14:20:54 GMT 2000

I thought I was doing well with samba. I have numerous samba / gnu-Linux
networks running well. Now I have one customer that wants to do something
that I cannot get the software to do. All he wants to do is have his users
change their passwords from the Windows passwords control panel. It seems
like such a simple request but I cannot for the life of me get it to work on
my test network.

I have been able to make it work until I tell samba to sync with Linux
passwords. This customer needs to sync Linux/samba passwords to maintain
uniform passwords with mail clients (the Linux box is the mail server). What
I get is a complaint from the control panel that the original password is
incorrect. I have the password chat corrected (the Mandrake 6.1 distro
install is bugged) to resemble the actual chat -including case- and the
passwd path is correct. I have been known to run plaintext passwords, so I
tried all the above with and without the registry entry for plaintext
enabled. The clients are win98 and win98se.

Here are the smb.conf highlights:

security = user
password level = 8
username level = 8
encrypted passwords = yes
smb passwd file = /etc/smbpasswd (this is correct)
Unix password sync = yes
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd (this does exist here)
passwd chat = *New*UNIX*password* %n\n *Retype*new*UNIX*password* %n\n
*passwd*all*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*

Other stuff:
local master = yes
os level = 33
domain master = yes
preferred master = yes
domain logons = yes
name resolve order = hosts wins lmhosts
wins support = yes
wins proxy = yes
dns proxy = yes

What I need to know is this:
1) Is this supported and supposed to work?
2) If #1 is true, what am I missing?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanx.