PROBLEMS connecting to SAMBA

Herb Lewis herb at chomps.engr.sgi.com
Fri Jul 28 13:04:50 GMT 2000

You didn't specify the error you got but I will assume it was
access denied. You have not specified encrypted passwords in
your smb.conf and I guess you are using one of the later versions
of windows clients that require encrypted passwords. See the
file ENCRYPTION.TXT in the samba docs directory for information
on applying the appropriate registry fix to the client or
setting up samba to use encrypted passwords.

santosh shedge wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have a machine on which RedHat Linux  6.2 is installed. IP address of
> machine is 10.5.2.180
> We have an intranet in our office. My neighbouring machine has IP
> address 10.5.2.179
> My workgroup name is  MCIA
> I'm giving netbios name as ''LINUX_SAMBA" which appears in my neighbours
> machine in network
> neighbourhood after I UP the samba server.
>
> When my neighbour clicks  on it it asks for  user name and password.
>
> My smb.conf file is something like given below
>
> Question:  What is the problem that I can't  log onto samba from my
> neighbouring machine.
>
> # Samba config file
>
> # Global parameters
>  netbios = SAMBA_SERVER
>  workgroup = MCIA
>  server string = Samba SMB on Linux
>  interfaces = 10.5.2.179/181 127.0.0.1/24
>  bind interfaces only = Yes
>  security = SHARE
>  log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
>  max log size = 50
>  read bmpx = No
>  time server = Yes
>  socket options = TCP_NODELAY
>  os level = 65
>  preferred master = Yes
>  dns proxy = No
>  wins support = Yes
>  guest account = smbuser
>  hide dot files = No
>
> [public]
>  comment = Public
>  path = /home/public
>  read only = No
>  create mask = 0664
>  directory mask = 0775
>  guest ok = Yes
>
> [data]
>  comment = Data
>  path = /home/samba/data
>  read only = No
>  create mask = 0660
>  directory mask = 0770
>  guest ok = Yes

Herb Lewis                               Silicon Graphics
Networking Engineer                      1600 Amphitheatre Pkwy MS-510
Strategic Software Organization          Mountain View, CA  94043-1351
herb at sgi.com                             Tel: 650-933-2177
http://www.sgi.com                       Fax: 650-932-2177