Excel and Word file corruptions

Alastair Broom abroom at valleyt.co.uk
Wed Jul 26 14:56:56 GMT 2000

On Wed, 26 Jul 2000, David Collier-Brown wrote:

>   Has anyone seen file corruption with Excel 97 SR1, on Samba?
> Scotty (scott at dork.com) is running 2.0.7 on SCO 5.0.4 on a
> Compaq Proliant 800, compiled on SCO 5.0.5 box.

We *used* to get file corruption when different PCs were trying to access
excel or word documents on the SCO server at the same time using different
methods, ie one PC using samba, another using PC-NFS (don't ask ;-) as the
locking between the two is nowhere near compatible.
The corruption was on SCO 5.0.4 with older versions of samba.

More recently, I have had problems with 2.0.6 and oplocks, but that was
probably due to the strange gcc compiling environment and libraries we
have, so I ended up using pre-compiled binaries from ftp.sdc.com.au built
by Stephen Davies
At this time, our main SCO samba box is happily serving 94 connections...
--
Alastair Broom               ValleyT Ltd, Edinburgh, Bonnie Scotland
abroom at valleyt.co.uk