Multihome WINS Registration

Josh Durham jmd at aoe.vt.edu
Sat Jul 22 19:54:54 GMT 2000

I've got a bit of a problem, which is related to the problem I posted
yesterday.  Samba is not registering the right address with the WINS
server, when it is on a multi-homed machine.  The machine is on two
networks, like this:
                         Subnet A(128.173.188.0)
       |                           |                     |
  128.173.188.20	    128.173.188.30        128.173.188.40
       |                           |                     |
  PDCSERVER(WinNT:WINS+PDC)     HERMES(Samba 2.0.7)  PLUTO(WinNT BDC)
                                   |                     |
                             192.168.1.1	   192.168.1.2
                                   |                     |
                                ----------------------------
                                    Subnet B(192.168.1.0)

There's alot more, for example, lots of WinNT machines on Subnet A that
aren't on Subnet B, and some NT machines that are on both A and B.

Samba is configured to be just a server, I have the following config
        workgroup = AOE
        security = DOMAIN
	password server = PDCSERVER
	local master = No
        domain master = No
        browse list = Yes
	wins server = 128.173.188.20

Now, looking at the WINS server when nmbd/smbd start, Samba registers:
192.168.1.1	HERMES(00h)
192.168.1.1	HERMES(03h)
192.168.1.1	HERMES(20h)

I would like it to register 128.173.188.30 with the PDC, since everyone
can get to it with that address.

Also, what is the best way to get the SMB traffic to use Subnet B if it
can? (IE, between Pluto and Hermes, for example.)  I tried using LMHOSTS
on NT and UNIX, but to no avail.  It was suggested(from my confusing email
yesterday) that I need to use remote announce and remote browse sync, but
I'm not sure why I need it.

I'd like to keep the WINS server on the NT Server, since that address is
statically entered on all the workstations.

Any ideas? Thanks!
- Josh

 * Josh Durham | AOE at Virginia Tech | (540) 231-9061 jdurham at vt.edu *