Samba on Two networks

Josh Durham jmd at aoe.vt.edu
Thu Jul 20 22:02:39 GMT 2000

I'm trying to set up a 100Base-T network on top of my exisiting 10Base-T
network.  The 100Base-T network is between a few hosts, but those hosts
are also on the 10Base-T network.  Here's a little diagram:
         10Base-T                       100Base-T
   128.173.1.1         DCSERVER
          |     (NT PDC+WINS Server)

   128.173.1.2 -----   ORION    ----- 192.168.1.1
	  |	  (Samba 2.0.7)             |
          |                                 |
   128.173.1.3 -----   PLUTO    ----- 192.168.1.2
                     (Win NT)

Alright, I'd obviously like to have any SMB traffic between Orion and
Pluto done on the 100Base-T network, which there is no WINS on.  So, on
Pluto, I put the line:
192.168.1.1	ORION	#PRE
in the file \winnt\system32\drivers\etc\lmhosts, and on Orion, I put:
192.168.1.5 pluto
in the file /usr/samba/lib/lmhosts

So, all good, right? Oh, here are some relevant lines I have in the
/usr/samba/lib/smb.conf file:
        workgroup = AOE
        security = DOMAIN
        password server = DCSERVER
        local master = No
        domain master = No
        browse list = No
        dns proxy = No
        wins server = 128.173.1.1
        name resolve order = lmhosts host wins

So, when I get on Pluto, and access a share, it comes up fine, but I get
this:
[2000/07/20 15:59:05, 1] smbd/service.c:(550)
  pluto (128.173.188.25) connect to service u1 as user administrator
(uid=0, gid=0) (pid 7228)

And when I try to transfer a large file, and run 'netstat -C'(on IRIX,
which just shows you the traffic stats), the Input-packets go up on the
100Base-T network, but the output packets go on the 10Base-T network(so,
Samba is reading from 100, but writing to 10.)  Any ideas how to make both
in/out work on the 100?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I have to use LMHOSTS entries on all
the NT/Samba machines on the internal network, because a WINS server on
each network won't work.. Is this true?  Otherwise, I wouldn't mind using
WINS - it's alot less maintenance.

I hope this makes sense, if not, please ask questions.

- Josh

 * Josh Durham | AOE at Virginia Tech | (540) 231-9061 jdurham at vt.edu *