Bug in smbmount?

Christopher K. Johnson chris.johnson at cmpco.com
Wed Jul 5 19:59:50 GMT 2000

Local software is:
samba-client-2.0.7-4
samba-common-2.0.7-4
samba-2.0.7-4
on RH 6.2 plus fixes, kernel is 2.2.16-3
NT server is 4.0 SP4

As root I can mount an NT share onto the Linux system:
/usr/bin/smbmount '//ntserver/myshare' /mnt/test -o
username=mylinuxuser,password=something,uid=myntuser,workgroup=CMP

But the mount point gets forced to mode 555 instead of 755.  It's not an
NT write permission being expressed because as root on linux I can write
to the mounted directory (touch a file, etc.), but not as the owning
user of course since it does not have write permission.

Also if as the unprivileged user (mylinuxuser) I use smbclient with the
same NT user workgroup and password accessing the same NT share I do
have write privileges to the NT share.

Seems like a bug to me.
Let me know if you need further information.

-- Chris