Remote win98 refusing to connect to samba server

Elias Lofgren albion at diku.dk
Mon Jan 24 17:11:43 GMT 2000

Well, I'm really stumped:

Giulio Orsero <giulioo at pobox.com> wrote:
>>No, I am not getting the login prompt, but I do have Microsoft Network
>>client enabled.  Originally the box had something called "Microsoft
>>Family" installed as a network client, but I deleted it (assuming that
>>"client for MS Network" would be sufficient).=20
>
>http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q141/8/58.asp
>delete the key:
>HKLM\Software\ Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Network\Real Mode Net =20
>AutoLogon

I don't have this key on the machine.  I can certainly get a logon prompt
if I set it up that way, but it doesn't make the problem go away.  On W95
I don't *need* the logon prompt, I can "Attach network drive" just as well
without it.  Since the box will only be connected occasionally, the network
drive shouldn't be attached automatically.

John LeMay <jlemay at njmc.com> wrote:
>This is actually a well known problem with Win98, however I do not have
>the actual fix handy. There are a couple of things to try, however.
>First, delete any files with the "pwl" extention in the Windows
>directory (assuming this is where Windows is installed). Reboot. If you
>still have no logon prompt, try incorporating the attached reg file into
>your registry.

I did this (deleted the *.pwl files).  Got the logon prompt.  Still
refuses to attach network drive ("Not logged on").

>If that doesn't work, I'm sure someone here probably knows the correct
>bit to flip. I thought it was somewhere in the neighborhood of
>HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\VNETSUP, however I can't seem
>to find the key.

Interesting.  What would this key control?  Anyone know the full name?

"Mikkel L. Ellertson" <mikkel at execpc.com> wrote:
>Well, if all else fails, you can try the standard windows fix - remove
>the Client for Microsoft Networks, reboot, and re-install it.  I know
>it works well for printer problems, so it may help...

I did this too, no difference :-(

This is a really weird problem, I assume there are thousands of people
using W98SE clients...  Does anyone have a step-by-step description of
configuring W98 boxes to use samba (since the steps used for W95 are
not sufficient)???

It's curious to note that the error message doesn't have any relation
to the address typed in the dialog box.  If I type garbage I still get
the same response.  It *does*, however, insist on having an active network
connection and will attempt a dialup if there isn't.  As soon as the
dialup completes, I get the error message.  I don't detect any network
traffic to my server (as logged by TCP wrappers).

Any other suggestions???