Samba and WINS

Alex H. Vandenham alex at avantel.com
Fri Jan 7 17:01:42 GMT 2000

It looks like my problem was caused by a temporary unavailability of the WINS
server.  That's going to be my biggest headache for what I'm trying to do.  The
objective is to set up a VPN between multiple locations over the big bad
internet and permit browsing between all the lans (all with different and even
multiple workgroups)  using samba servers as the master browser, domain master
and wins server.  The limitations of Samba (can't be a backup browser,
secondary wins server, etc) are going to be a big problem since it means I can
only have one WINS server for the whole network.  Hard to believe it will be
available full time!  I can get it to work as long as everything is STABLE.

Do you know of any way to force a refresh of the WINS data, or to force the
WinPCs to renew their WINS registration (without a reboot).  Or do you know
how often the Win PCs renew their WINS registration (is it really 6 days???
and can it be changed?)  I never thought I would say this but, I wish I knew
more about how WINS works.

Thanks for your suggestions

Alex