Samba and WINS

Steve Langasek vorlon at netexpress.net
Fri Jan 7 21:14:01 GMT 2000

On Fri, 7 Jan 2000, Alex H. Vandenham wrote:

> It looks like my problem was caused by a temporary unavailability of the WINS
> server.  That's going to be my biggest headache for what I'm trying to do.  The
> objective is to set up a VPN between multiple locations over the big bad
> internet and permit browsing between all the lans (all with different and even
> multiple workgroups)  using samba servers as the master browser, domain master
> and wins server.  The limitations of Samba (can't be a backup browser,
> secondary wins server, etc) are going to be a big problem since it means I can
> only have one WINS server for the whole network.  Hard to believe it will be
> available full time!  I can get it to work as long as everything is STABLE.

There has been discussion in the past about what would need to be done for
Samba to do proper WINS replication, either together with NT or just between
multiple Samba servers.  You might try probing the samba-technical mailing
list, to see what progress, if any, has been made.

-Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer