Failed RPC Call

Adrian Ichim aichim at rsb.ro
Tue Feb 29 21:08:29 GMT 2000

It seems that Win NT has some weird behavior when it encounters some
"reserved  names". I have experienced something similar (in a certain sense),
when I tried to install  Win NT 4.0 WS from an ATAPI  CD drive, mounted from DOS
and having the name "CDROM" (I had a line like "device=atapicd.sys /D:CDROM"
in config.sys). The whole setup stopped, saying that it cannot load the driver for the
cdrom device. As soon as I changed the offending name to something like "CDR000"
and restarted the whole process, everything was  OK. That's why I don't think it's
Samba, but just another Windows bug.