modification time

Peter J. Holzer hjp at wsr.ac.at
Wed Feb 9 09:48:54 GMT 2000

[sorry for replying to the wrong message. I seem to have deleted the
original]

On 2000-02-08 05:57:47 +1100, Giulio Orsero wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Feb 2000 01:48:05 +1100, hai scritto:
>
> >When I copy an old file to a share the motification
> >time is not changed. Ok, the file has not been
> >modified but since it is new to this share I like
> >to change it's time to the copy time!

This is because copy (or windows explorer or whatever program you are
using to copy the file) explicitely resets the modification time of the
copy to that of the original.

There is nothing samba can do about this (except disallowing the utime
call).

	hp

--
   _  | Peter J. Holzer             | Nobody should ever have to be
|_|_) | Sysadmin WSR / Obmann LUGA  | ashamed if they have a secret love
__/   | http://wsrx.wsr.ac.at/~hjp/ | actually work.  -- Donald E. Knuth