New old user - Domain logon

Dieter Speck d.speck at gmx.net
Thu Dec 28 22:47:24 GMT 2000

Hi Sambexperts,

I had a strange occurrence tonight, when reinstalling my windows machine.

Before setting up the network, I deleted a user from my linux machine
running the samba service, then created it again (because there was so much
crap from windows in the user folder).
Then I set up the network for the windows machine and tried to log on - not
possible.

Now the trick: I read the logs and found unix and samba user did not match.
So I deleted the user with smbpasswd and created it again -> voilá!

Maybe someone else had a bad time with the same effect, now he knows why.

My question:

How could I automatically put important files ("my files" and bookmarks
from IE) onto the linux machine without having all program settings as well
as the complete profile there too? It seems that all these windows settings
are stored in the user folder on the linux machine, so when logging on or
off, this takes up to 5 minutes (or sometimes until I press reset on the
windows machine).

Thanks in advance for any help.

Best regards and a happy new year 2001,

Dieter