Session request failed (Called name not present) error

Jason Hill jhill at north.com
Thu Dec 21 23:03:44 GMT 2000

Robert/David,

Success!  The problem was lanman (Solaris PC Net Link), which someone before
me installed on this machine.  It wasn't running, but apparently the
software install mucks with something.  I was digging around on lonepeak and
came across a directory that looked something like:

DOS----

That prompted me to check the groups file and I noticed a few related
entries and the password file had some SLSxxxx stuff in it.  I checked
through the /opt directory and found a directory called lanman with an
uninstall in sbin, so I ran the uninstall (which complained that lanman
server was not running) but proceeded successfully.  After that, I kill
-HUP'd smbd/nmbd and smbclient now recognizes it.

I can't say enough about the tireless effort that Robert (Dahlem) put forth.
The virtual beer is on the way, but he'll have to grab the nearest Hefe
Weissbier himself. ;-)  Robert, thanks so much for your help.  Maybe I can
return the favor someday.

This might be worth putting in an FAQ someplace... Session request failed is
not generated from Samba (more likely lanman).  If you get the message, see
if lanman is installed.

Jason.