smbd and nmbd startup problem's...

Amir Tal tal at intercomp-sys.com
Fri Dec 22 00:30:56 GMT 2000

hello list...

having some kind of a weird problem with starting the samba daemons.
I am running a Linux mandrake server at home, and my other 2 machines are
running win2k.

up until yesterday, there were no problem with samba, and everything worked
like a charm.
I didn't make any drastic changes to my system, but now when I try to start
the samba services (which were automatically loaded so far btw) it looks
like the services are loading, but they actually don't :

[root at mars tal]# samba start
Starting SMB services: [  OK  ]
Starting NMB services: [  OK  ]
[root at mars tal]# samba status
smbd is stopped
nmbd is stopped
[root at mars tal]#

I tried to re-install all the samba rpm's, but it didn't help.
I checked to make sure that all the necessary files are actually in the
system (like smbd,nmbd,smb.conf etc...)
and everything looks fine.

when trying to access the shares via windows I get an error message that
says the device is in use (or some weird shit like that...)  ;)

does anyone know what might cause this ? please help !!

thanks.

--------------------------------
 _|_|_	   Best Regard's ,
  ( )   *  Amir Tal,