Win2k Pro + SP1 + Samba + Unencrypted Passwords + Lazy admins..

Stephen Waits swaits at waits.net
Mon Dec 11 23:40:15 GMT 2000

All of that == Pain.

Anyway, here my sitch:

I work at a place where the admins are not so "with it" and hence kinda
secretive.  I want to run Win2k - but they won't officially support it, so
I'm on my own.  On top of all this they say it's a "low priority" since
they are always putting out fires (Win2k has only been around for a year
after all - geez..)

I have Win2k Pro + SP1 running.  They don't encrypt passwords.  I add the
registry hack to send plaintext passwords, but now no matter what when I
try to map a drive my login and password is said to be "invalid".  If I
reenable password encryption I just get the usual 1240 error (besides I
know they don't encrypt pw's because under 98 I use the registry hack for
plaintext + this same username and password and it works great)

So, what am I missing?  Any ideas on how to fix this WITHOUT access to the
level=3 or greater debug logs?

Any help GREATLY appreciated.  I _NEED_ Win2k to develop on and I must get
this working.  Promised free BEER (really) to anyone that can get me
going.

Thanks,
Steve