FILE SHARING PASSWORD

JON GERDES GERDESJ at gkn-whl.co.uk
Tue Dec 5 10:51:01 GMT 2000

Have you set up the smbpasswd file and enabled encryption ?

In smb.conf:
encrypt passwords = Yes
smb passwd file = /wherever_you_want_the_passwd_file

smbpasswd -a username
then type in the password twice.  This will fill in the smbpasswd file
repeat for all users to get SMB accesss

To share the whole lot try this in smb.conf:

[root]
	path = /
	valid users = root
	admin users = root
	write list = root
	read only = No

This assumes that root is in the smbpasswd file.  Ammend the options to taste (man smb.conf) and wave goodbye to security ...

Cheers
JG

>>> Dhaval Desai <dhavaldesai at altavista.com> 12/05/00 09:09am >>>
Hey Guys

i have a little problem here..I can see the Linux Box in the Network Neighbourhood..but I can't sem to see anything when I double click on the Computer icon....
Instead I can see a Password prompt asking for a passwod.

What password do I have to put in here..? I put my root password and said ok! but didn't work..

Okay.

Finally I have made up my mind

I want to share the entire linux box contents on the Windows 98 Networked pc.

Can any body give me the exact lines in SAmba.conf file which can do this..

Free Unlimited Internet Access! Try it now!
http://www.zdnet.com/downloads/altavista/index.html