smbclient and large file size reporting?

Eric A. Sproul esproul at cstone.net
Fri Dec 1 16:46:11 GMT 2000

Hi,
I posted this question a few weeks ago but didn't get a response.
Perhaps if I rephrase it a bit...

After much RTFM-ing I still don't know anything more.  My situation is
that I am mounting a share from a Windows 2000 server on my Redhat6.2
box with samba 2.0.7 (compiled from source, not using RPM).  I am then
trying to back up this share with Amanda from a third server.  When
Amanda connects to the Redhat box, it runs smbclient to discover the
total size of the volume to be dumped to tape.  From Amanda's debug info
I am seeing smbclient report a large negative number for the filesize of
the share.  This causes Amanda to fail to back up this volume.  Amanda
does succeed in backing up the native partitions on this box, so I am
confident that Amanda itself is operating normally.

Here is what I see just doing an ls on the share:

total 7056080
-rwxr-xr-x    1 operator disk     3610983424 Dec  1 06:23 Backup.bkf
-rwxr-xr-x    1 operator disk     3614442496 Nov 12 19:46 fullvolume.bkf

So two 3.6 GB files, for a total of 7.2 GB.  Now this is what happens
when Amanda runs smbclient to get the file size:

sendsize: getting size via smbclient for //nitrous/backups level 0
sendsize: running "/usr/bin/smbclient '\\nitrous\backups' XXXXX -d 0 -U
backup -E -c 'archive 0;recurse;du'"
added interface ip=xxx.xxx.xxx.13 bcast=xxx.xxx.xxx.255
nmask=255.255.255.0

                34727 blocks of size 262144. 4577 blocks available
Total number of bytes: -1612049408

One note of peculiarity that makes me think it's the large files is that
when I first set up this mount, there was one 500 MB file in there and
it got backed up just fine.  Nothing has changed since then except the
files in the share.  So I presume that there is some issue with enormous
files that causes smbclient to incorrectly report the total bytes.  Can
anyone recommend a solution?

Thanks,
Eric

--