query_name_response: Multiple responses received

Mac dmccann at nibsc.ac.uk
Tue Aug 15 08:22:57 GMT 2000

Hi,

>>I've just noticed I'm getting a load of these
>>
>>query_name_response: Multiple (2) responses received for a query on subnet
>>193.62.43.24 for name INFORMATICS<1d>. This response was from IP 193.62.43.39
>
>This may come from a box with two interfaces on the same physical network, both
>automagically found by its nmbd. The original query was a broadcast coming in on
>both interfaces, the other nmbd responded to both of them (in fact the other box
>saw two different packets coming in) and your nmbd got a little embarrased. :-)

I suspect this is indee the case.  The IP address listed is indeed a machine
with two physical interfaces on the same physical network (and indeed several
virtual interfaces (IP aliases) as well.

Surely, this is a bug in one or other end of nmbd.

Since it's interface aware, couldn't it be at least moderately clever about
handling this situation?

It's clearly NOT wrong to have multiple distinct (but interoperating) IP
subnets on the same physical LAN, so why can't nmbd cope?

Or have I got the configuration wrong somewhere?

>If you're really concerned about it, you might try to play with "interfaces =". Be
>careful, as you could stop nmbd answering queries on the "other" interface.

That's the 'interfaces =' on the nmbd on the dual homed machine, right?

>>Surely it would be more helpful if it listed all (2) of the multiple responses?
>
>Indeed.

I thought so.

                               Mac
          Assistant Systems Adminstrator @nibsc.ac.uk
                        dmccann at nibsc.ac.uk
   Work: +44 1707 654753 x285      Everything else: +44 7956 237670 (anytime)