query_name_response: Multiple responses received

Robert Dahlem Robert.Dahlem.listen at gmx.net
Tue Aug 15 00:49:13 GMT 2000

Mac,

On Mon, 14 Aug 2000 20:56:14 +1000, Mac wrote:

>I've just noticed I'm getting a load of these
>
>query_name_response: Multiple (2) responses received for a query on subnet
>193.62.43.24 for name INFORMATICS<1d>. This response was from IP 193.62.43.39

This may come from a box with two interfaces on the same physical network, both
automagically found by its nmbd. The original query was a broadcast coming in on
both interfaces, the other nmbd responded to both of them (in fact the other box
saw two different packets coming in) and your nmbd got a little embarrased. :-)

I see a lot of these and I never care about it.

If you're really concerned about it, you might try to play with "interfaces =". Be
careful, as you could stop nmbd answering queries on the "other" interface.

Another way could be to seperate both networks either by physically seperating
them or by using VLANs in your switch.

>Most pertiant question for me is why is it only listing one one of the

The first response was "good", no reason to log. The second response was
"superfluid", so it made its way into the log.

>Surely it would be more helpful if it listed all (2) of the multiple responses?

Indeed.

Regards,
        Robert