Working Fine - Suddenly Not

Kirk Shimek Kirk.Shimek at trw.com
Mon Aug 14 18:40:26 GMT 2000

Thanks to Mike Brodbelt for the quick response and for future problem explanation and definitions
tips.

This problem came back out of the MIS department that the DNS service was not working.
Once they fixed and restarted the DNS service the shares started to work.  This does not
sound correct but this is the only thing from a NT network services point that I can find
that changed.  Again it seems that UNIX is more stable than the intel / Microsoft
platform.  Go figure . . . is that why Microsoft is trying to copy so much from UNIX . . .
makes you say hmmmmmmm.

Kirk Shimek

Kirk Shimek wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> AIX 4.3.3 / Samba 2.0.6
>
> Have had no problems in months accessing shares / using SAMBA.  This morning users
> called to say that they cannot connect.  Stopped and restarted the NMBD and SMBD
> services.  smbstatus shows no issues.  Log files show users attempting to connect but
> no errors as to why they get the message "\\<server_name> is not accessible The session
> was canceled".  Issued the smbclient //<server_name>/share -U guest.  After prompting for
> a password is simply states that the "session setup failed".   Is there anyone out there that
> recognizes these symptoms and knows a potential solution.  Or even if I should implement
> a debug level and what the best debug level would be?

We need to know at least:-

What the client OS is, what security level is enabled, domain or
workgroup environment, WINS/server, no WINS server. Session setup failed
means that the negotiation failed, which suggests to me that your name
resolution is OK, os nmbd should be fine, but Samba is not accepting the
session. Without more info, it's impossible to tell why. Whack loglevel
up to about 3, and send some log excerpts to the list too.

HTH

Mike.