smbmount shares not lasting

Urban Widmark urban at svenskatest.se
Mon Aug 7 19:43:13 GMT 2000

On Tue, 8 Aug 2000, Gregory Leblanc wrote:

> I've got a machine running RedHat Linux 6.2 on a P-II400 with 256MB of ram.
> I'm mounting shares in the manner 'mount -t smbfs -o uid=user,gid=group
> //server/share /mount/point'.  The server is a genuine NT 4 server, with SP5
> and a couple of hotfixes.  I mounted a couple of shares yesterday, and
> overnight the stopped working.  When accessing the share, I get an error
> message that says "ls: /mnt/gleblanc: Input/output error".  I don't see
> anything in the logs as to why this is happening.  Got any ideas?  Thanks,

samba version? 2.0.7 should have the best smbmount, if you are using
anything != 2.0.7 that is the most likely explanation. Upgrade to 2.0.7.

If the server you are connected to goes down and someone tries to access
the smbfs mount while it is down, smbmount will terminate and the mount
will stop working. You may try this patch for that:
    http://www.hojdpunkten.ac.se/054/samba/smbmount-2.0.7-fixes.patch

It also tries to fix the logging so that smbmount should log what it does
(allow debug messages no matter how it is started). If you are using a
default config you should get a log.smbmount where your samba logfiles
live. If upgrading & patching doesn't work that log could be helpful in
finding out what happens.

/Urban