Memory leak in 2.0.7?

William R. Knox wknox at mitre.org
Mon Aug 7 15:14:35 GMT 2000

I have been experiencing a problem here after having upgraded last week
to 2.0.7 (from 2.0.4b) on Solaris 2.6. The smbd processes are growing in
size until they are taking over the system. I just had to stop and start
samba on a system that had smbd processes of 26 M, 24 M of which was
resident in memory for most of the processes. After stopping and
starting again, the processes are back down in size to a more normal
6200 K, of which an average of 4000 K or so is resident.

The servers on which samba is running are print servers which handle
about 4000-5000 jobs a day, the vast majority of which are initiated via
samba connections, so smbd is constantly forking off processes. Is this,
as it seems to me, likely a memory leak?

I'd be happy to provide any additional details if anyone thinks that
would help. Is this a known issue?
--
			Bill Knox
			Senior Operating Systems Programmer/Analyst