Problem understood -- Re: NAT + different subnets + NT domain = ???

Evgeny Roubinchtein eroubinc at u.washington.edu
Wed Sep 29 06:09:08 GMT 1999

I think I know what the problem is now.  The NT client sends a bunch of
UDP packets to the PDC.  When the PDC sends a reply back, it apparently
resolves the NetBIOS name to the IP address of the NT client.  In my case,
it does so through a WINS database.  Unfortunately, the WINS database has
the bogus, "behind-the-NAT-box" addresses of the NT clients in it, so the
PDC's response gets sent to, for example 192.168.1.3, which of course is
unroutable, so it just gets dropped.  I ran tcpdump on the PDC's subnet,
and actually saw some packets with those bogus destinations, so the only
part I am inferring is the NetBIOS name to IP address resolution.  I am
not sure what the solution to this would be.  I would like to thank
everyone for their suggestions and tips.

"
I really hate this damned machine
I wish that they would sell it.
It never does quite what I want