freebsd and smbmount

Matthew Vanecek mev0003 at unt.edu
Mon Sep 27 15:15:20 GMT 1999

Rick Knebel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I don't know how many people on this list use samba with freebsd , but I
> have a question.
>
> I have samba set up and can connect to my other win conputers using
> smbclient but I am told that freebsd does not have smbmount.
> i need to mount my win hard drives in order to back them up.
> Is this possible some way with samba under freebsd.
>
> Thanks

AFAIK, smbmount is only available on Linux.  This is because Linux
supports a wide range of filesystems, of which smbfs is one.  The SMB
filesystem, IIRC, is not available on *BSD, which means you cannot use
smbmount.

You can, however, use smbclient to connect to a share.  I haven't used
it much, but the commands look similar to ftp commands, once you connect
to a share (put, get, etc).  smbsh is also supposed to allow similar
functionality to smbmount by opening a shell prompt on that share.  I
haven't been able to use smbsh, however, because it keeps segfaulting on
my Linux box. :/

HTH,
--
Matthew Vanecek