New Install Problem

Glenn Scherb gscherb at mriresearch.org
Fri Sep 24 22:26:18 GMT 1999

I've encountered a new problem that occurred during installation.  It
happened identically on new installs for both Caldera OpenLinux 2.2 and Red
Hat 6.0.

These files did not get created:  SHARE_MEM_FILE, SHARE_MEM_FILE.processes,
and STATUS..LCK.
I'm using the smb.conf from another working system that has the  identical
share layout.
The default Samba install was 2.0.3 for both distributions.  I tried
upgrading and even removing and reinstalling 2.0.5a with exactly the same
behavior.  The missing files are not created.

I copied them from another working box Samba started.  Sometimes shares are
visible and then vanish later.  The only logs that get written are:
log.smb and log.nmb.

I have several other boxes running the same Red Hat 6.0 distribution, and
Samba 2.0.5a.  These were upgraded from RH 5.2 and have never had problems.

Any suggestions?

TIA

Glenn Scherb
Midwest Research Institute