How to browse the samba server from different group?

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Fri Sep 24 13:19:34 GMT 1999

Here's how I do it:

First, make sure it's not a Windows Explorer problem. Do the following:

net view \\myserver

If you see the shares there, it's win9x's quirky explorer. More on that
later. If you don't see the shares there, on the Linux box do

smbclient -NL myserver

If you don't see the shares there, something's wrong with your smb.conf
browseability. Make sure your global section does not have browse list=no,
and make sure your shares have browseable=yes.

If you can browse with net view but not with explorer, it's likely the
result of no browser election thus no winner. Here's what I do to fix that:

[global]
netbios name=myserver       #make it findable
preferred master=yes        #force browser election on startup
local master=yes            #throw your hat in the ring
os level=65                 #outspend your NT opponents
domain master=yes           #completely rig the election

NOTE: Do not put in the comments! -- they only work at the start of the
line. I've included them at the end of the line for easy illustration only.

Steve Litt