speed with memory mapping (Word)

Dean Brissinger brissing at vexcel.com
Wed Sep 22 15:59:25 GMT 1999

Hiya,

	I am running Windows NT Terminal Server w/ Citrix MetaFrame
1.8.  I am mounting UNIX users home directories to the NT world via
Samba 2.0.3.  When I copy a 20MB or larger file in the explorer,
Samba's performance is great.  However, if I want to open a 20MB MS
Word document Samba's performance drops below the floor.

	I assume that MS Word memory maps to the file on the share,
because my terminal server's memory usage does not increase
dramatically.  In the NT performance monitor, I see that NT
acknowledges Network I/O and Paging time (no time using the local
disks).  When a user saves a 20MB file, NT gives a huge chunk of time
to the network operation and lags the whole server for ~8 minutes.
In the performance monitor I see a spike of Network I/O and Paging
about every 5 seconds (not a constant write).

	Is there something I can tweak to improve this?  I also find
that logging off and storing our profiles in our Samba mounted home
directories is VERY slow (same deal, a spike ~5/sec.).  The servers
CPUs remain idle during saves/logouts.

	My log file does not show any entries when I save files and
get this behavior.  What level do I need to set it to to catch a
glimpse of what's happening?

  --