SAMBA digest 2243 / 2.0.5 and SCO Openserver 5.0.5

Axel Neumann amn at cromemco.com
Wed Sep 22 13:25:25 GMT 1999

James A. Mutter wrote:

>Does anyone know of any issues with 2.0.5 and SCO Openserver 5.0.5?  A
>friend told me that he had "real problems", but couldn't elaborate.

>Is there something I should be aware of before I try this?

>Thanks,
>Jim

Hi,

As far as I know there are no problems with running Samba on a SCO system,
beside the normal Samba configuration problems.

I am running 2.03 on SCO OS 5.04 and a customer is running 2.05a on 5.05
without problems.

Before you start to implement Samba on a SCO OpenServer you should check if
you have installed one of the following SCO software on the system:

SCO VisionFS
SCO Advanced File and Print Server
LAN Manager Client
Microsoft Client Software
SCO PC-Interface for UNIX

Some of these software implement a real NetBIOS stack on the system. You
will then have in /etc/rc2.d a file named i.e. S87netbios (I am not sure
about the number). Some others are using the same mechanism as Samba
(listening to the TCP ports 137-139).

So if you have one of these software installed either remove them or at
least disable them before you start Samba.

Best regards,

Axel Neumann