NT-to-Linux printing stopped working...

Matthew Vanecek mev0003 at unt.edu
Sat Sep 18 19:30:04 GMT 1999

Printing seems like a popular subject here lately. ;)

I have an Epson Stylus Color IIs which I had connected to my Linux box.
It was mapped on my NT box, and everything worked fairly well (except
for the print quality--NT drivers for that printer suck).  So, I bought
a new printer--an Epson Stylus Color 740.  I hooked it up to Linux, made
the necessary changes to /etc/printcap, and printed some test pages.
Works great.  So I restart samba.

Then, I go to NT and install the printer's drivers, open up NN, select
one of the three virtual printers I made, and install it.  No problem.
However, when I tried to print a test page, the operation timed out.
Somehow or another, the printing subsystem is unable to find the
printers.

I captured one of the printers to the lpt1 port, and it works that way,
but I'm not able to use the other queues I made, for the various
resolutions.  Has anyone had this problem before, or does anyone know
where I might look to fix it?

Using samba 2.0.5a.  I didn't change smb.conf at all between the two
printers.
Under [global] I have:
printing = bsd
printcap name = /etc/printcap