Need Help with IRIX Error

Herb Lewis herb at chomps.engr.sgi.com
Thu Sep 16 20:44:22 GMT 1999

Eric Songer wrote:

> Hello All,
>
>         I am having a problem configuring Samba on IRIX ver. 6.5.  Any help or RTFM
> pointers would be sincerely appreciated.  I am getting the following error
> with test 3 in DIAGNOSIS.txt (smbclient -L hostname):

It sounds like you may have a corrupted shared memory segment. Try
running smbstatus to see the size of the shared memory segment used
by samba (usually the last line of the output). Then run "ipcs -b'
and look for a segment owned by root that is close to that size.

Stop samba, use ipcrm to remove the segment (and maybe the semaphore
that has a key close to the key of the shared memory segment), then
restart samba.

For example on my system.

# /etc/init.d/samba stop
# smbstatus
  .
  .
  .
Share mode memory usage (bytes):
   1048464(99%) free + 56(0%) used + 56(0%) overhead = 1048576(100%)
total

# ipcs -b
IPC status from /dev/kmem as of Thu Sep 16 13:40:18 1999
T     ID     KEY        MODE       OWNER    GROUP QBYTES
Message Queues:
T     ID     KEY        MODE       OWNER    GROUP  SEGSZ
Shared Memory:
m    200 0x00280267 --rw-r--r--     root      sys 1048576
T     ID     KEY        MODE       OWNER    GROUP NSEMS
Semaphores:
s     10 0x00280269 --ra-ra-ra-     root      sys    14

(I only have one segment but look at SEGSZ to determine size of
segment).

# ipcrm -m 200
# ipcrm -s 10
# /etc/init.d/samba start

Hope this helps.
Herb Lewis                                   Silicon Graphics
Technical Marketing                          2011 N Shoreline Blvd
Network Systems Division                     Mountain View, CA  94043
herb at sgi.com                                 Tel: 650-933-2177
http://www.sgi.com                           Fax: 650-932-2177