page of graphics won't completely print

Eli Carter eli173 at mindspring.com
Thu Sep 16 03:44:28 GMT 1999

Greetings,

I'm not on the list, so please CC me, thanks.  :)

Problem:  printing a full-page graphic stops 3 inches into the print.
System:
    FreeBSD 3.2 server running Samba 2.0.3 (version that is installed with
the distribution)
    486DX (4 or 8MB, I don't remember at the moment, I think 8.)
    2 parallel ports
    Epson Color STYLUS 500
    Epson Color STYLUS 800
    Win95 client
    Win98 client

Ok, if I print a document (such as a paper) from (say) Word, it will print
without a problem.
If I print a full-page graphic from (say) IE or Publisher, it will begin
printing, apparently normally, and print the first ~3 inches of the page
correctly, then it will stop, with the printer's light still flashing.  The
paper is not ejected.  The amount printed is not exactly the same each time,
which is odd to me.  Power cycle the printer and everything is normal.

This occurs whether I print from the Win95 box or from the Win98 box.  Also,
same symptoms on either printer.

My initial guess was that it's running out of space for spooling, since the
/var partion had ~19MB free, though it seems like that should be sufficient.
I changed both Samba and lpd to use the /usr partition (with several hundred
MB free).  No change.

I do recognize that this is a low memory system, but I would still expect it
to work.  (Unjustifiably?)  I didn't find anything useful in searching
samba.org (though I could be blind...)

TIA for your insights,

Eli
eli173 at mindspring.com

Gory details that might be of interest:  (more available upon request &
instruction)

bash-2.03$ vmstat
 procs      memory     page                   disks    faults      cpu
 r b w     avm   fre  flt  re  pi  po  fr  sr wd0 fd0   in   sy  cs us sy id
 0 0 2    4248  1204    1   0   0   0   1   1   0   0  236    5   2  0  1 99

Diagnosing.txt
Test 1 - pass
Test 2 - pass
Test 3 - pass
    except that it's logging in as user guest (thus no home directory) guest
account has no passwd, just press enter
Test 4 - pass
Test 5 - pass
Test 6 - pass
Test 7 - pass
Test 8 - pass (still as guest)
Test 9 - pass
    (though does not prompt me for a password.)
Test 10 - pass

smb.conf:  with comments and extra newlines stripped

[global]
   workgroup = RETRACILE
   server string = Samba Server
   hosts allow = 10. 127.
   load printers = yes
   printcap name = /etc/printcap
guest account = guest
   log file = /var/log/log.%m
   max log size = 50
   security = user
   encrypt passwords = yes
   socket options = TCP_NODELAY
os level = 65
   domain master = yes
   preferred master = yes
   dns proxy = no
[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no
   writable = yes
[epson800]
        allow hosts = 10.
        browseable = yes
        comment = Epson Stylus COLOR 800
        create mask = 0700
        path = /usr/spool/samba
        printable = yes
        printer = lp0
        public = yes
        writable = yes
        force user = guest
[epson500]
        allow hosts = 10.
        browseable = yes
        comment = Epson Stylus COLOR 500
        create mask = 0700
        path = /usr/spool/samba
        printable = yes
        printer = lp1
        public = yes
        force user = guest
[winshare]
   path = /usr/winshare
   comment = General repository
   writable = yes
   public = yes
   create mask = 0777
[share]
   path = /usr/local/share
   comment = /usr/local/share
   read only = yes

And /etc/printcap ( minus comments )
lp0|local line printer0:\
        :sh:\
        :lp=/dev/lpt0:sd=/usr/spool/output/lpd0:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs0:
lp1|local line printer1:\
        :sh:\
        :lp=/dev/lpt1:sd=/usr/spool/output/lpd1:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs1:

  _
_| ~~.  Eli Carter, eli173 at mindspring.com
\,  _}  Is prayer your steering wheel--
  \(    or your spare tire? -- Corrie Ten Boom